Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2016

A Little Less Magic

This past week has been a bit rough because two of my childhood loves have died: Alan Rickman and David Bowie.  With their passings, a little bit of magic has gone out of the world.  Art and artists are what makes life more amazing.  They teach us more about ourselves and help us to appreciate the universe.

I always adored Alan Rickman.  I was aware of him a long time before he was Snape in Harry Potter.  I would watch Sense and Sensibility because I fell in love with him as Colonel Brandon.  An older gentleman, who is cultured, devoted and refined is never a bad thing.  He might also be a reason why I generally prefer older men.  I also greatly enjoyed Rickman as Alexander Dane in Galaxy Quest, which is a Star Trek spoof.  He was charmingly English and quite witty.  I will greatly miss seeing him in future films.

As for David Bowie, I always saw him as Jareth from Labyrinth.  He seemed otherworldly and ethereal in that film.  Bowie was always ethereal, but the movie nailed what he embodied.  I know from watching that movie that I would have chosen Jareth over a baby brother any day.  Then again, I'm a terrible person.  I had a great respect for all of Bowie's incarnations and songs.  His music always makes me happy because it's weird and I'm weird.  An artist was lost whom I had a great respect for.





I am truly heartbroken at their loss, but we've only lost their bodies.  We haven't lost the art that they have given the world.  As long as we remember them and what they did, they live on.  They deserve to live on.



No comments:

Post a Comment