Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Shark Week



I've loved sharks since I was a little girl.  I think I've been watching Shark Week on Discovery since it came out.  I remember my mom getting me Jacques Cousteau documentaries on sharks.  I believe sharks are beautiful creatures that deserve respect and probably a healthy amount of fear.

Most sharks do investigatory bites, which is what most shark attacks on humans are.  The problem is that they have sharp teeth, which causes the major damage.  If you get bitten a a tiny horn shark it won't cause as much damage as say a Great White or a Bull shark because of their sheer size and aggressiveness.  If you've been in the ocean you have probably been in close proximity to a shark and might not have realized it.  You are going into their home and have to understand that the are out there.

The shows so far this year have been pretty great.  Air Jaws is always a favorite of mine.  It's just impressive to see an animal that weighs a ton launch itself out of the water.  While Great Whites are impressive, I like the smaller sharks like blues, makos and nurse sharks.  I'm glad that Discovery decided to branch out and show some of these sharks.  The program on the oceanic white tip, which is the shark behind the USS Indianapolis attack, was really interesting. While this species of shark is aggressive, they are nowhere near as aggressive as bull sharks.  Bull sharks are extremely deadly for the reason that they have the highest level of testosterone of any animal on the plant.  Basically they are terrible motherfuckers.   I'm looking forward to the rest of the programming this week.

I think one of my goals is to volunteer at an aquarium and educate people about sharks.  I love these animals and I want other people to love them too.  I spend most of my time at aquariums at the shark tanks.  My companion took me to the local one and was nowhere near as excited as I was about petting the sharks.  The nurse sharks are pretty docile and that's why they do well in the touch pools.  If they don't want to be touched, they know where to go.

I hope to see some more of them up close one day.  I would love to see a whale shark.  I don't think I would be happy to swim with a great white.  Since I love the ocean, I respect and love sharks.  They deserve protection because humans kill about 1 million sharks a year while sharks on average kill 5 humans a year.  Many sharks are vulnerable or endangered.  I think I would like to adopt a shark one day too.

Now, I'm going to go cuddle with one of my shark stuffed animals and go to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment