Search This Blog

Monday, March 9, 2015

Progress

I figured that I should just write about some of the progress that I've made.  It's hasn't been an up and up trajectory.  Honestly, it's been a bit of a roller coaster.  However, I think I have improved a great deal.  Some things I'm still working on, but overall, I think I'm getting there.

First of all, the cooking is going well.  I don't always make spectacular gourmet meals, but I make some hearty flavorful things.  The other day, I made pancakes with spicy home fries.  The home fries were roasted red potatoes, onions and garlic drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper, chillies and cayenne pepper.  It was absolutely delicious. I've been on a kick of contrasts (ie sweet and spicy).  Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to make Cornish hens with stuffing and veggies.  My first attempts don't turn out so well.

I decided to start drawing.  I haven't had an art class since middle school, but needed some type of art therapy.  I only see my therapist 1-2 times a month, so I need something in between the sessions.  I have to admit that they aren't very good.  Part of why I started drawing was so that I could work on a major photo campaign. I was very proud of the shark I drew even if it wasn't perfect.  I'm planning on a drawing trip to the local aquarium so that I can get more practice.  A friend of mine said that she would like to join me on the trip.

I've also finally got my light box and have started light therapy when I'm at work.  It says "happy light" on the front of the device, which kind of explains what it does.  It is very bright and I only have it on for an hour or so.  I have to say that is has improved me mood and alertness at work.  However, daylight savings time is kicking my butt.  It does every year though.

I am taking a writing class called Creative Nonfiction.  I am on the second lesson out of 24 and still have the homework to complete.  I have to write a short story based on a photo from my life.  I haven't picked the picture yet.   I'm sure my writing will improve by the end of the course.  I do enjoy writing even if no one reads what I write.

I have a had a few set backs.  I have been cutting on occasion.  It's not to the point where it used to be, but it really stems from the loneliness.  I do have a roommate, but due to our work schedules we don't see each other that often.  I also wish that we all had more time to spend with our friends.  I've been trying to get together with people, but things get rescheduled.  The other problem is money.  Since it's still technically winter a lot of my bills are high and there are very few free things to do in the area.  I guess I have to wait till the end of April before things happen again.

I'm slowly getting to where I want to be, but it's not where I thought I'd be by now.  I didn't think I'd be this alone.  At least I have things to be thankful for, a job, friends, family and a place to live.  I just miss having the support I used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment