Search This Blog

Friday, April 24, 2015

The Irony

Sometimes there is too much to write.  That is one of the problems with depression, the rumination.  When news comes, whether good or bad, we over think it.  Right now, my heart and brain are too full because this was the day he left.  I have never cried so hard before or since.  I was so devastated that I was sobbing on my kitchen floor.  He left me because he had to protect himself and his job.  The irony of this entire piece of shit story is that the evil bank laid him off last week.  Abandoning his friends, his freedom and his principles for a paycheck didn't even buy him 2 years. My question is, was it worth it?

I believe that a job/career should add to someone's pile of good things, which is what I decided to call my non profit. If your job makes you change for the worse or compromise yourself, it's not worth having that job. This bank has been and looks like will always be a cesspool of misery for its employees.  He alienated himself from all the tellers in order to be above reproach.  He got a poor first year review mostly because he was too friendly.  There is a corporate culture of heirarchy, which is slowly fading away in most work places unless someone is the CEO or on the board. Maybe it's my Millenial point of view, but I will follow directions and respect you, if you give me the same courtesy, not because of your title.  They also complained about his hair being long.  In my opinion is wasn't long at all, but the CEO who is a micromanaging dictator kept complaining about it, so he cut his hair short.  The thing is that he needs someone.  He's not shallow, but he made himself distant because of money.  He was looking for a new job, but they couldn't match his salary.  I think he was in the financial industry too long because it came down to money.

He was laid off last week after the bank hired an outside company to do an efficiency review.  They found that he didn't do enough for the company to keep him around.  They laid off 6 other people as well.  This is how a company gain rapid assets in a short period of time: increase profits and reduce overhead.  No one listened to me about my criticisms because I was the opposition and therefore had to be discredited and silenced.  I'm still not silent.  The greatest irony was that he did everything to follow their rules and they still got rid of him in the end. 

So that's the end of the story with the bank.  He's finally free of that place, but not on the terms he would have wanted.  I'm glad that he is gone from that place.  That bank does not deserve to have employees.  I hope now that he will find something that he enjoys and doesn't compromise his beliefs or himself.  I wish him the best.  Maybe that makes me the better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment