Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Going Broke to Get Better

I am kind of broke.  I make enough to pay my mandatory bills, but not enough to put money into savings or pay off my credit cards.  Sorry, parents, I didn't want you to worry about my finances, but being an adult is difficult.  What is the reason for my credit card debt?  It really is down to 2 things: medical expenses and car repairs. 

The problem is that a lot of my medications, especially the Advair and Pristiq because they are name brand, which makes them more expensive.  Luckily, the Advair, I only take for 3 months out of the year, but they have coupons for them.  The major problem is that I need a methylfolate because I am missing an enzyme that breaks down folic acid.  Apparently as much as 70% of the population has this genetic mutation http://www.methyl-life.com/).  This is what is making me tired.  It's not the sugar or my thyroid that causes the low energy, it's that folate that I'm lacking.  The downside is that the methylfolate is expensive.  It's available as a prescription, which my insurance doesn't cover or I can get it online for $57-$75 for a 90 day supply.  I have gone without it and that is why I'm not active. 

The other thing about my medical expenses is having a deductible.  My deductible is $1500 a year with a total out of pocket expense of $3000, which is separate.  So I have a total of $4500 that I have to pay out of pocket a year on my medical plan.  This is not making health care affordable.  Though this year I won't have as many medical tests as I did last year, but I still won't be able to afford my allergy shots or jaw surgery.  I might get my moles removed in this calendar year.  However, I'm sure that will take care  of most of my deductible.  Luckily, my company gives me $1000 a year in my HSA and I put in $600.  However, I just paid off all my outstanding bills from last year and only have $63 is my account after they gave me $550. 

My monthly therapy bill during my deductible is between $57 and $114.  So that eats a lot of money for me, but it is necessary for me to get better along with my medication.  However, one of the components that I need to get better is socialization.  The problem is that there are not a lot of free things that I can do here.  Plus there is scheduling.

If someone wants to help me, having a cooking session with me.  Come over have some wine or whiskey and bake some bread.  I want to be a decent cook and have a lot to learn.  Food is a social thing, which is why restaurants exist.  I mean we can make pasta with an English cheddar sauce for all I care, but come an hang out.  That's the best thing you can do for someone with depression is just spend time with them.  Right now, I don't have money to go see movies unless it's at the discount theater.  I also don't have money to go out to restaurants unless I plan for it because my medical bills are the craziest things. 

I am trying to get back to a good place, but I can't do it alone.  Part of my problem is the money.  I am literally going broke to get better.



Activity: Made a salad of Persian cucumber, Vidalia onion, Mozzarella, couscous and red wine vinaigrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment