Search This Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2016

In Defense of My Mother

Today was my mother's birthday.  Since my parents live in Israel, I only go to wish her a happy birthday and chat with her a bit. I have a feeling that she is feeling a bit down.  I wish I was less of a pain to her.  I wish that I appreciated her more.

I have to admit that it took a while to understand my mother.  She can be domineering, very opinionated and pushy.  She can be intimidating to weaker people as well.  My mom is an old jewish lady now, who announces her opinion and doesn't care who gets offended by it.  You're allowed to do that when you're old.  I also think that people are now easily offended by anything that is not politically correct.  My mother has always been a bit blunt, which I also inherited.  We both have a low tolerance for stupidity as well.

My mom would push me and my brother to do things.  We were both in scouts, marching band and sports.  I think my mom pushed us both to do scouts because she couldn't as a child because she couldn't afford the uniform.  Sometimes I hated being involved in all these activities, but they did get me into college.  I know my mother did without sometimes so we could participate in these activities.

What I didn't understand when I was young was the my mom grew up poor, so she would make sure my brother and I got things that we wanted to be happy.  She would do this from tag sales or buying things on sale.  I think that taught me to value second hand things because I don't always need something new. There was a time when my dad was in and out of work, so sometimes we couldn't get new things.  The only thing my mom didn't give up was her weekly manicure.  She would make sure she had the $15 do get that done.  It was her little thing.

I know it wasn't easy raising me, but my mom always loved me.  She would do anything for me.  Today she even offered to send me money so I could do laundry.  I declined because I have to make it on my own.  I would love for her to send me more recipes even though all her food ends up being brown.

It does upset me when people are mean to my mother.  I can be mean to my mom because family pisses each other off at times.  My mom was bullied at her last place of employment, which was awful.  She was not very happy during that time, but got so much better when she moved to Israel. I feel that Israel is where she always belonged.  She seems less tense there.  However, she is still a very opinionated, blunt lady.

My mom is my mom.  She's not perfect, but she is always there when I need her.  I do feel bad when I yell at her or am mean to her because she does so much for me.  I do try to make it up to her by trying to fix myself and finding things that she would like.  I'm going to visit her in March even though it would add to my debt.  Since my parents are older, if I wait, they might not be in great health to host me in Israel.

Happy Birthday, mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment